Monday, February 05, 2007

Elijah's first real puke! What a milestone! :(

On Sunday afternoon we headed to our friends Matt and Carrie's house for a Super Bowl party, and Elijah was having a lot of fun playing with their daughter Tara (okay, her toys mainly), when he wanted to climb up in Jon's lap for a rest. Then he suddenly threw up over Jon's shoulder (what a little party-puker, haha)! Jon's shoulder was hit pretty good, though most of it actually landed in a baby gift bag we had given our friends Jason and Katy who are expecting their first little one in a few weeks. So that was fortunate for Matt and Carrie's carpet, and not so fortunate for one of the books we had given Jason and Katy. Playtime Peek-a-boo is a goner!

Elijah started having some diarrhea as well and went through all his diapers, but he was much happier after throwing up, and seemed to be doing fine after that. Jon and I thought maybe it was something he ate earlier in the day, since he didn't seem to have other symptoms and seemed okay after throwing up. Eli went to bed at home just fine and with no more tummy issues, but then at 1:30 in the morning Eli woke up crying and covered in vomit (and with poo inside his jammies from top to bottom). Middle of the night cleanup is not fun, and he actually ended up in bed with us (with towels over everything just in case). He threw up one more time in our bed (thank goodness for those towels!) and then he fell asleep between Jon and I.

Today there were no more throwing up incidents, but lots of poo and crying (both baby and mommy). All day Elijah would vary between just wanting to cuddle on the couch and wanting to play. He was under his slide playing this morning while I was trying to figure out what to feed him for lunch, when he started crying like he had hurt himself. I headed over and asked what was wrong and he started screaming, "poo poo, poo poo!" and lifting his bottom off of the floor. All day he would just scream when he went and then scream as I changed him and re-diapered him. Eli's little bottom is just fiery red, even though I'm putting cream on every time I change him. I tried giving him a bath to clean him up a little, but he screamed the minute his butt hit the water (even though I made sure the temperature was only lukewarm) and he was almost inconsolable after that. The whole day was pretty awful for both of us.

At one point this afternoon Jon (who came home early to bring Pedialyte and support) and I counted changing Elijah three times in less than 10 minutes. We'd get his diaper changed, stand him up, he'd walk over to play with a toy and then we'd hear a huge explosion in his pants. Then new diaper, new pants, new socks, etc. I was thinking that I'd skip putting new sweatpants on him since they just got dirty so fast (I've done 3 loads of laundry today!), but it was too cold for that. And then I thought that I actually really liked having the exploding poo contained in the sweatpants instead of exploding all over the carpet!

Tonight Elijah seems a little better (no exploding poo for three hours, woohoo!), but Jon is feeling queasy. Uh oh! We'll see what happens!

One positive thing to come out of this is that we found out Elijah doesn't mind drinking Pedialyte. We have the bubblegum flavor and Elijah guzzled it down all day long - we called it his "bubble juice" and he seemed to like that (he can say both of those words, so that helps!). Hopefully that will help keep him from getting dehydrated and he can be on the road to recovery soon. Puking and pooing babies aren't such a fun thing for anyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mis,
I totally understand you and Elijah's misery. Josh had this a month ago and it was a nightmare. I think one day we went through 15-20 diapers, his bottom was so raw too. He walked around bow-legged because it hurt so bad. I would have to hold him in my arms and hug him and apply diaper cream all at the same time. It was rough for awhile. But the pedialyte worked and it just had to run it's course. Unfortunately it lasted 10 days...pretty scary. Anyway, i don't think that was much encouragement except to say i know what you're going through. Hang in there, girlie!!

love ya,
stace

Catherine said...

Poor Eli!!! Thank goodness for Pedialyte, it is a fabulous thing! Hope he feels better soon and you guys get a break!

Van Wesep Ventures said...

Not fun! Have to admit the vomiting is much easier to deal with when the kids reach an age where they at least understand that running to the bathroom is what needs to be done. Our last bout was on the way home from mom and dad's on Thanksgiving day. Nicholas got sick in the van on the way home, throwing up all over himself, his blanket, pajamas and of course...the car seat. What a mess. I couldn't even get the clothes off him because it was freezing cold outside. We ended up wrapping him up as much as we could and had to finish the 20 minutes drive home covered in vomit.

On a different note, Paul thinks I'm crazy, but when Allison's butt gets that bad I use a combination of Bourdeux's Butt Paste (available at Target and I'm sure some other places, it is thicker and a different consistency that Desitin and A&D) and then I pile on the baby powder on top of it. It seems like wherever the butt is really raw the cream and the powder kind of make a little paste that usually lasts until the next diaper change. It seems to protect it a little bit because it doesn't seem to rub off as quickly. Seems kind of weird, but it often does help. Weird concoction but worth a try. - Toni